Meatless Monday: Let’s Make Gnocchi!
This #MeatlessMonday, we’re sharing a pasta that’s both simple and yummy… Gnocchi! As it is low in cholesterol, Gnocchi is a great choice for your Monday meal. This pasta can be made in a variety of ways and is a great go-to dish for meal prepping. For our recipe, we will be repurposing stale bread as our base and adding butter with sage to give it a subtle flavor.
- 7 oz of stale bread
- 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2/3 cup of water
- 1 egg
- 4 oz of butter
- 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- Place your stale bread scraps in a covered bowl.
- Add water to the bowl and leave to soak for about 20 minutes. Afterwards, you will need to squeeze out any remaining excess water.
- Mix in your other ingredients: flour, cheese, egg, salt and stir with fork until moist. Try to be careful not to overdo it or else it will be too sticky!
- Cover the surface with flour and use it to mold the dough. You will need to shape dough into bitesize pieces (we recommend about 2 inches per piece). Then you can use a knife to cut each piece about 3/4 inch each.
- Bring salt water to a boil in a large saucepan and cook ingredients for 4 minutes. Then you will need to drain the gnocchi after.
- Melt butter and sage in a skillet and add gnocchi to the pan.
- Place on medium heat and cook until gnocchi is slightly brown.
- Serve and enjoy your dish!
Torrico, G., Wasiliev, A., & Rooney, D. (2019). The zero waste cookbook: 100 recipes for cooking without waste. Hardie Grant Books.
If you have a recipe you would like to share with us for #meatlessmondays, please email us! Feel free to check out our other #meatlessmonday recipes on our blog if you haven’t already.
You can also make an impact on reducing food waste and hunger by helping us grow our food rescue operations: Donate