Honey-Roasted Whole Carrot
#WhyWasteFood Wednesday is a call to action to take those almost-in-the-trash food items and turn them into delicious meals!
At least 1.3 billion tons of food is lost or wasted every year around the world—in fields, during transport, in storage, at restaurants, and in our homes! If each individual made a call to action to stop their own food waste–the planet benefits, we have less hunger, and your own grocery bills will go down through the savings.
UN Food & Agricultural
Scraps: Whole Carrots with greens, Cilantro with white roots
This recipe uses the entire carrot, including the tops, and also an uncommon part of the cilantro, the white roots. They’re pungent and slightly peppery, which is a perfect complement to the carrot top chimichurri.
- 2 bunches carrots, with green tops
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) red wine vinegar
- ½ bunch cilantro, white roots attached
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- Rinse the carrots well, then remove the tops and set the carrots aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the garlic, shallot, red wine vinegar, cilantro, carrot tops, and olive oil until finely chopped (see notes).
- Allow the chimichurri to sit refrigerated for at least 2 hours so the greens soften and flavor the olive oil.
Roasted Whole Carrots
- 1 cup (118 g) chopped walnuts
- 2 carrots, tops and greens removed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grapeseed oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) yogurt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sriracha
- ¼ cup (60 ml) honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Toast the walnuts in the oven for 4 to 6 minutes. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, coat the carrots with the grapeseed oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Season the yogurt with salt if it’s too thin. Strain it with a fine-mesh strainer, reserving the whey. Add the whey to the chimichurri for mild acidity.
- Combine the sriracha and honey, and pour half the mixture over the carrots, coating them evenly. Arrange the carrots in an ovenproof pan. Bake uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on thickness), until tender and browned.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and drizzle with the remaining sriracha and honey.
- To finish, spread the yogurt on a plate and arrange the carrots on top. Spoon the chimichurri over the carrots and sprinkle with the toasted walnuts.
The scrapsbook. IKEA. (n.d.). Retrieved October 18, 2022.
If you have a recipe you would like to share with us for #whywastewednesday, please email email@example.com.
If you would like to make an impact on reducing food waste and hunger help us grow our food rescue operations: Donate
#whywastewednesday #foodfindersinc #foodrescue #stopfoodwaste #reducehunger #improvenutrition #helpfoodinsecurecommunities #HelpEndHunger #Volunteer #Charity #fightinghunger #rescuingfood #Donate #makeanimpact