Meatless Monday: Enjoy Cauliflower Tacos!
Spice up your summer with our #MeatlessMonday pick for this week…Cauliflower tacos! This meal is a great way to include a vegetable substitute instead of your usual fish taco. Plus, cauliflower is packed with Vitamin C, making it a healthy alternative!
For the Slaw:
- 1 cup of red cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup of diced red onion
- 1 jalapeño (minced)
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar
- Dash of salt
For the Cauliflower Taco:
- 1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. of chili powder
- 1 tsp. of cumin
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- Dash of black pepper and salt
- 1 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 1 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into bite-size pieces (also known as florets)
- 2-3 corn tortillas
PRO TIP: Using an air fryer is the best way to get your cauliflower to be the right amount of crispy! You can also garnish your tacos with yummy toppings like cilantro, lime, avocado, sriracha, and spicy mayo.
- First, combine all the ingredients for your saw in a medium-sized bowl. You will need to let them sit while prepping the other ingredients for your tacos.
- You will need to mix the flour and spices next. Use a dash of salt and pepper to add some seasoning. Add in the almond milk and stir to combine. You want the mixture to be thick, but it should also be easy to dip the cauliflower into. (If needed, add more milk to secure texture.)
- Then place Panko breadcrumbs in a small bowl. These will be used to add that crisp texture to your cauliflower. Dip the chopped cauliflower (or florets) into the milk mixture and toss it into Panko breadcrumbs. It should be coated nicely so it will fry the entire vegetable.
- In batches, place coated cauliflower into an air fryer basket and spray with a cooking spray. Cook at 400° for 15 minutes, and check on them. About halfway through, you should flip and spray once more with cooking spray. (Note: If you use a convection oven, you will need to cook at a higher temperature and for longer. We recommend 425° for 20 minutes.)
- Now you can add toppings if you like! For maximum flavor, you can combine mayonnaise and Sriracha (and maybe a hint of maple syrup) into a small bowl.
- Time to assemble and enjoy! On a tortilla, place cooked cauliflower, avocado (optional), pickled slaw, and cilantro. You can top it with the Sriracha mayo and serve it with lime wedges for an added touch.
Makinze Gore Food Editor Makinze is currently Food Editor for Delish. (2021, November 1). You would never believe these Air Fryer cauliflower tacos are vegan. Delish. Retrieved August 4, 2022, from https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a35787681/air-fryer-cauliflower-tacos-recipe/
If you have a recipe you would like to share with us for #meatlessmondays; please email us! Feel free to check out our other #meatlessmonday recipes on our blog if you haven’t already.
You can also make an impact in reducing food waste and hunger by helping us grow our food rescue operations: Donate.