How to Make Italian Crazy Sauce
Why Waste Wednesday
DID YOU KNOW? The average American household wastes approximately $1,600 each year in produce. This is enough to pay for more than an entire month’s worth of groceries for a family of four! 😱
Produce is a major food staple for many and yet it is often wasted.
Some reasons for this waste could be:
- Poor storage system for produce, making items go bad faster
- Allowing items to go bad without eating them, which often happens when we forget we have them
- Not repurposing parts of a fruit or vegetable to make other dishes
Italian Crazy Sauce Recipe
For today’s #WhyWasteWednesday post, we want to give you an option to use a tomato that might be going bad soon and turn it into a delicious meal! With our fun recipe for Italian Crazy Sauce you can take those overripe tomatoes in your fridge and make a yummy sauce to dip your bread into! 🍅 🥖
💚 6-8 Overripe tomatoes
💚 1-2 cloves of garlic
💚 Basil powder, 3 to 6 fresh sprigs, or 1 Tablespoon basil pesto
💚 Oil of choice (e.g. olive oil)
💚 Pasta or Toasted bread for dipping
Now it’s time for preparation! Make sure to follow the steps below.
6 STEPS FOR PREPARATION:
- Remove any parts of the tomato that may be molded. Then chop into smaller pieces. Set aside. (If you need additional tomatoes you may add any other tomato including cherry tomatoes)
- Heat oil in pot or pan on medium high. When oil is heated, add chopped garlic and sauté for 1 min.
- Add tomatoes in next and stir them. Sauté the tomato mixture until hot then add basil and stir.
- Pull pan off the burner to cool. Now in a blender, puree the mixture. (You can also use kitchen scissors to make the larger pieces smaller if you need to)
- Leave in the pan until cooled completely. This will thicken and enhance the flavor of the tomato sauce into a rich taste. The longer it sits, the more flavorful it gets.
- When pasta or toasted bread is ready, heat sauce and serve. Enjoy!
If you have a recipe you would like to share with us for #WhyWasteFoodWednesday, please email mbereket@carly-bragg
If you would like to make an impact on reducing food waste and hunger help us grow our food rescue operations: Donate
#foodfindersinc #FoodRescue #reducehunger #improvenutrition #helpfoodinsecurecommunities #HelpEndHunger #Volunteer #Charity #fightinghunger #rescuingfood #Donate #makeanimpact